POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Programming langauges : Re: Programming langauges Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:25:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programming langauges
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 22 Oct 2009 16:19:09
Message: <4ae0be3d$1@news.povray.org>
>>> C was basically portable assembly for the original Unix.
>>
>> ...and yet, it doesn't make it especially easy to do low-level stuff.
>
> It doesn't?

I mean, sure, it has support for twiddling bits and stuff. But you'd
think if you were doing low-level work, you would have a way to
explicitly say how many bits you want to use. Yet C provides no such
facility. Every CPU I know of provides an instruction to check for
sign-overflow, but C ignores overflows by default, and provides no way
to check for them if you want to. (Besides manually testing the operands
before doing the operation.)

> Please don't call me ancient. :P

Ancient. :-P

>>> My uncle said that back then, they created ad-hoc, file-based
>>> database management systems by themselves.  People were much bolder
>>> back then. :)
>>
>> But what did dthey *store* these files on? Punch cards?!
>
> Magnetic tapes, in the 1970's.  Magnetic tapes, in the form of cassette
> tapes were also available for home use, as MSX and perhaps C64 owners
> may remember.

The concept of performing a multi-table join where the tables are all
stored on magnetic tape scares me. o_O

My God, it could take months...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/